• Blog >
  • Holiday Pet Dangers
RSS Feed

Holiday Pet Dangers

Dog wearing a santa hat during Christmas

Holiday Pet Dangers

It’s that wonderful time of the year again, and with all that holiday cheer, we may forget the dangers that lurk around for our pets. Let’s take a refresher course to help keep your furry beloved one safe this season. If your pet still happens to come into contact with any of these dangers, call Little River Veterinary Clinic in Fairfax to get your dog or cat the care they need from one of our veterinarians.

Common Risk for Pets During the Holidays

  • Chocolates: This is a commonly known fact to dog owners that chocolate is a no-no. But, did you know chocolate is dangerous for cats, too? So, be watchful when the chocolate goodies start arriving because it is very easy for a chocolate chip to drop and your pet to immediately help themselves.  

  • Grapes/Raisins: Grapes and raisins are unsafe for both dogs and cats. So, no letting Fido or the cat have those fruit candies or cake that grandma sent.

  • Electrical Cords: This is more of a danger with young puppies and kittens due to their attraction to lights and electric cords, thinking they are the newest play toy. It may look cute, but this puts them at risk for electrocutions and burns, which could even lead to a fire. When you’re decking the halls, make sure the cords are out of sight or pinned securely out of reach.

  • Tinsel: Got love for tinsel? You might want to think again. Tinsel is very dangerous to pets if ingested. Even a minuscule amount can be fatal if not caught and treated by a veterinarian in time.

  • Nuts: Nuts they are good for us, but not all nuts are good for your pets. Walnuts, pistachios, almonds, and macadamias are nuts to be avoided. They are poisonous to dogs, causing stomach issues, seizures, and neurological issues.

  • Pine Tree Needles and Other Plants: Oh, Christmas tree, oh, Christmas tree, how lovely are your branches? Well, they can be dangerous to your pet—the pine needles, especially—so if you are planning on setting up a real tree, be watchful. Holly and mistletoe are also on the no list. Poinsettia is not toxic, but if eaten, it will cause your pet some stomach distress.

 Visit Our Veterinary Clinic This Holiday Season

Have questions? Concerns? Are you in the Fairfax area? Feel welcome to come in, or contact us at Little River Veterinary Clinic for any of your pet’s needs by calling (703) 273-5110. 

Contact Us

We look forward to hearing from you

Location

Office Hours

Monday:

7:30 am-4:00 pm

Tuesday:

7:30 am-4:00 pm

Wednesday:

7:30 am-4:00 pm

Thursday:

7:30 am-4:00 pm

Closed every other week, please call

Friday:

7:30 am-4:00 pm

Saturday:

8:00 am-1:00 pm

Closed every other week, please call

Sunday:

Closed