• Blog >
  • Toxic Ingestion
RSS Feed

Toxic Ingestion

When Your Companion Needs Pet Emergency Care

Unfortunately, cats, dogs, and other pets tend to eat things they are not supposed to. That might include bits of plastic, dangerous bones, poisonous plants, or numerous other things. Toxic ingestion is a serious risk for pets.

Right off the bat, if you believe your pet has ingested something dangerous, get in touch. Time is often of the essence. Little River Veterinary Clinic in Fairfax offers pet emergency care. Minutes count, so don’t delay!

With that out of the way, let us look at some things all pet owners should watch out for.

Common Toxic Ingestion Risks

Pets, including cats and dogs, can ingest many poisonous things. Keep an eye on the following:

  • Rat/vermin poison
  • Houseplants (poinsettias are poisonous to cats and dogs, for example)
  • Antifreeze- tastes sweet, making it especially dangerous for pets and children. Highly toxic.
  • Poisonous and venomous animals, including toads, wasps, etc.
  • Cleaners and other household chemicals
  • Anything with caffeine/theobromine (i.e. chocolate)

If you catch your pet in the act, remove the toxic substance from their mouth and get rid of said substance. At this point, contacting a veterinarian is a wise idea. Poisoned dogs and cats may have diarrhea, suffer from shaking/seizures, restlessness, vomiting, and more.

The best toxic ingestion treatment is prevention. If you can prevent your dog or cat from ingesting something that is poisonous, you can prevent them from getting sick. Talk to a veterinarian to learn what plants and substances may pose a risk and how you can prevent toxic ingestion.

If it is too late for prevention and your pet has ingested something toxic, pet emergency care is recommended. For poison on the skin or fur, a thorough wash may be enough. In some cases, fur may need to be shaved off.

For toxic ingestion, your pet may need to have its stomach pumped. Sometimes, activated charcoal is administered to absorb the toxins. Other forms of poison treatment may help your pet. We will do everything we can to protect him or her.

Remember, time is of the essence. Contact Little River Veterinary Clinic in Fairfax right away if your pet has ingested something toxic.

Contact Us

We look forward to hearing from you

Location

Office Hours

Monday:

7:30 am-4:00 pm

Tuesday:

7:30 am-4:00 pm

Wednesday:

7:30 am-4:00 pm

Thursday:

7:30 am-4:00 pm

Closed every other week, please call

Friday:

7:30 am-4:00 pm

Saturday:

8:00 am-1:00 pm

Closed every other week, please call

Sunday:

Closed